Garfish, rain and thunder

Jamie was lucky from the very beginning. He caught no less than eight garfish on the first day of kayaking. But we were in general unlucky with the weather on this trip. I had been optimistic when leaving the campsite at Rantzausminde Saturday morning and was not wearing my jacket. I was soaked by the time we had lunch.

Towing in the ladies

By the time we arrived at the campsite on Avernakø, everyone was soaked. Pia, Kira and I went to the store to get coins for the showers. We borrowed Freek’s towing rope and made a primitive line for our wet stuff. Next day we all got a scolding from the harbourmaster because of the mess we had made.

A "shelter" from the storm

We continued Sunday morning with wind and waves in our backs. At the southern point of Avernakø the clouds caught up with us and we had to seek shelter at a small, wooden barn. It was not a great shelter. The roof was half collapsed and the “floor” was washed away by the ocean. But we managed to get in right before we got hit by hail.

The rest of the day was fine. Only a few clouds and some strong headwind in the end. We reached Gammel Havn, the old harbour at Drejø and made camp. We walked to the local store, bought ice cream and enjoyed the beautiful sunset before going to bed. At night it began storming.

A free ride with the ferry

We woke when Rikke was standing next to our tent asking if we wanted to take the ferry or continue as planned. Confused, we got up and out of the tent and realised that the wind was much stronger than anticipated.

In the end we decided to split up. Freek went with the group that did the crossing as planned and I went with the group that took the ferry. We still had to get the kayaks to the ferry though, and that was the toughest part to paddle. Strong wind pushed us so we ended up all going in different directions. But when we turned the corner, the weather cleared and we had sun and less wind.

The captain of the ferry was nice and let us pass without tickets.

After arriving at Svendborg Harbour we were fooled to think that the rest of the way was easy. We ended up paddling 7 km in strong headwind with no shelter from shore, as we had expected. In the end we arrived one hour later than the group crossing by kayak. It took several days before my arms, shoulders and sunburn stopped hurting.